Sub heading

My Blog. My Art. My life.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

12 Months of Dogs Of War - October (Veronica)

Ah, Veronica Williamson. I have something of a soft spot for her and she's one of my favourite characters. Though you'd think if that was the case, I'd have drawn more pictures of her. I had to dig up sketches from 2010 and 2013 to create these drawings.


It was kind of interesting how Veronica's personality developed. Y'see, when I create a character, I tend to not have their personality predefined from the start. Instead I let it develop on it's own as I write stories, based on the 'feel' I get from how the character may react in various situations. To take one look at Veronica, you may think she is a ruthlessly efficient assassin type that may not express much in the way of emotion. That isn't really true. Yes, she is an expert marksman - er, no - markswoman? Marksbitch? Yeah, let's go with that. However she does show a bit more emotion than the others on her team. She has a bit of a different outlook on the world around her and tends to question situations more than her team mates - a bit more 'shades of grey' than the others, who are a bit more absolute with their decision making. I may have mentioned this before, but this is something I try to do with my villains - give them some personality and complexity rather than the 'my-only-character-trait-is-anger' characterisation that I see way too often in TV shows and movies. Bad guys can be charismatic too, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment