Sub heading

My Blog. My Art. My life.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Trifecta Battletank Mark One




TRIFECTA, MOTHERFUCKERS!!

Sorry, got a bit carried away there.

I loves me a Trifecta. It's an iconic part of the Dogs Of War series (even though they don't appear until the middle of series one). It's a tank fielded by the Universal Alliance, basically in the role of an overpowered siege unit. Like the Tiger tanks used by the Germans in World War Two, the Trifecta is a representation of the power and might the Universal Alliance holds.

If you think slapping six barrels on a tank is a dumb idea, just remember this came from the mind of a 14 year old. A lot of ideas are dumb at that age (you should have seen some of my early Dogs Of War scripts. Actually, no - you shouldn't). However despite now being much older and wiser, the Trifecta is something I still hold on to dearly.

Influenced by the twin-barreled tanks from the Command & Conquer games, the Trifecta was something I came up with early on in development of Dogs Of War. In a way, I came up with it before Dogs Of War actually became 'Dogs Of War'. Since then it has almost become a character in its own right. Over the years I have tweaked the look and design which led to the decision that the Trifecta would go through several variations over the course of the series. The pictures here are of the MKI. I know it looks like a box on wheels, but that was intentional. The MKIII is intended to be the sleekest of the three, so I went back to the MKI design to ugly it up a bit.

I'm quite attached to my Trifectas (if that wasn't already obvious) and have always been a little paranoid someone would create something similar, but so far I've been lucky. The closest anyone has gotten was the MARV tank from Command & Conquer 3 - Kane's Wrath and that pirate ship (I forget the name) with the six bow-mounted cannons from the Pirates Of The Carribean films. However to my surprise, it turns out that six-barreled tanks actually did exist in real life. Well, they're classed more as an artillery piece than a tank, but a tracked, armoured vehicle with 105mm guns - that's close enough. It was called the M50 'Ontos', developed by the US army during the 1950's. Interesting design, but different to that of a Trifecta.

So anyway, my Trifecta is now out there on public display, for all to see. I can sit back, knowing I can now claim originality so if anything like this pops up in someone else's work, I will assume they got the idea from here - whether or not that actually ends up being true.
Grr! My Trifectas! Mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment